Olive tapenade with mixed peppers, grated carrot and red pepper and the obligatory cucumber sandwiches make up the lower tier of my three tiers of vegan friendly afternoon tea delights.
All washed down with cups of earl grey tea with soya milk and jasmine tea served in silver pots and lovely cups.
Raspberry jelly, mini fruit kebabs & berries encased in a dark chocolate box, all yummy. After all that fruit on the second tier I can’t wait to tuck into my vegan scone wrapped up on the top tier! Only it isn’t a vegan scone, its fresh figs quartered in a filo pastry case. Simplistically delicious yes but this is afternoon tea… Where’s my scone?! Maybe there’s no clotted cream equivalent. Fine. Really. I’ll take the dairy free marg you slathered in my sandwiches. With jam. Or even only with jam. It’s more about the scone really. With a cup of tea.
Here’s a recipe for you Luton Hoo.
Makes 8 – 12 scones
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup raisins
3/4-1 cup nondairy milk
– Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
– Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, and rub in the soya margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
– Add the sugar to dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
– Make a well in the middle of the mixture, and slowly pour in the ‘milk’, stirring with a metal spoon. Bring the mixture together until it forms a dough.
– Generously flour a large board and knead the dough for five minutes. Roll it out to a thickness of about 2.5cm/1in and cut rounds from the dough.
Yes the location is amazing, beautiful old house, lovely view of the grounds. Wonderful experience to settle into the big comfy chairs and drink fragrant tangy tea with my dear friend and introduce her to what must be England’s best tradition. However, a word of advice Luton Hoo of Bedfordshire against future vegan disappointment, and let’s face it that happens more often than not, say yes to “do you cater for vegans?” and a girl’s going to expect a scone, especially for £27.50.