I was such a lucky girl last week, I got taken out for two afternoon teas in one week. Two! Only the second I made the fatal vegan error of not flagging the vegan thing in advance. Oops.
The Charlotte street hotel had a vegan menu I could eat from. 3 starters, 3 mains & 3 desserts. Two out of three desserts were fruit based. ‘Carpaccio of pineapple’ for one. Still hankering for cake after the fruit based afternoon tea at Luton Hoo, I wanted cake! As long as restaurants consider vegan food as something that is bizarre and missing something there will never be cake for those opting out from animal products. Why does it have to be different. Why not have cakes that are delicious for all dietary requirements on the menu? Below my adapted carrot cake recipe to be free from:
– dairy products
– added sugar
2 cups Gluten Free Flour (can be a rice/spelt flour mix) (use regular whole meal/ plain flour if gluten is not your concern, cakes tend to crumble without the gluten fibres to bind them)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 and 1/4 cups Water
1 and 1/4 cups Chopped Dates
1 cup Raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder & a pinch of nutmeg & clove powder
1 cup Shredded Carrots
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/2 cup Orange Juice (or any other juice, Pineapple is nice!)
– Preheat oven for 15 minutes at 375F/190C. Lightly grease and line an 8 or 9 inch cake pan.
– Sift together the dry ingredients – flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
– In a saucepan, combine together the water, dates, raisins and spice powders. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
– Place the grated carrots in a large bowl. Pour the hot liquid mixture on top of it and let it cool completely.
– Once it is cool add the chopped walnuts and fruit juice; combine well.
– Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well together.
– Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
– let the cake sit from 20 minutes to an hour depending on whether you lined with grease proof paper.
If you want to up the naughty a bit make some frosting. I’ve seen recipes for vegan cream cheese frosting but for me this cake is delicious without!
Try it and tell me how it can be lacking in something and why it wouldn’t be good for everybody!